Monday, January 19, 2015

Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson

Famous detective Sherlock Holmes was once feeling bad and went to visit his good friend, Dr Watson, for a checkup. While eyeballing his blood test results and other tests, the good doctor commented:

"I saw you yesterday at the club and you looked quite fine. I wanted to ask you something, but you had already left, so... let me ask you now. That 4♠ hand, I made exactly 10 tricks, just like everyone else, but I couldn't help noticing that you managed to make 11 tricks. I cannot see how that is possible, even looking at all hands. How did you do it?"

This was the hand:

Dealer West, N-S vulnerable.


"West lead the J. I finessed to the Q at trick one, which held, but I still lost two diamonds and the ♠A, like everyone else," explained Watson.

"My dear friend. You spend so much time with me, and yet, you've learned nothing. Too often do I feel that there is no one in the world who reasons like me. That thought makes me feel very lonely. Watson, bridge is exactly like solving murder cases. I also got a J lead and I also took that finesse. Then I played a spade, West won the ♠A and returned another trump. After pulling the third round of trumps I finessed clubs, scoring 4 tricks in that suit and discarding a diamond from hand."

"The last 4 cards are: 3 diamonds and a trump in dummy opposite KJx and a trump in hand."

"Now listen carefully, think of the clues. What do we know?"

"West showed KJ, ♠A and ♣K - that's 11 points. His shape is: 5 hearts, 3 spades and 3 clubs, therefore he has 2 diamonds. That makes his hand balanced. If he also had the A, he would have opened 1NT. When he did not open 1NT, his diamonds must be Qx. Based on this logic, I then played a diamond to the K and another diamond, forcing West to win with his Q and play another heart, giving me a ruff/sluff."

"Is that so complicated? I cannot imagine that you wouldn't see that, even with open cards. It's about time you start using your head, Watson!"

Unlike most times, Dr Watson didn't feel like letting the insult go without payback:

"My dear friend, the wisest of all. I regret the end of our friendship," he said in a serious tone.
"Oh, come on, it's not like you're starting to get oversensitive all of a sudden, better think of what I told you and become a wiser man yourself," said Sherlock, with bored tone and closed eyes.
"It's not that. It is your health. I fear you have very little time left," said Watson.

Sherlock opened his eyes and threw a worried glance at the doctor, who was quietly examining the results. After a few more minutes of silence, he couldn't stand it anymore and shouted: "Talk to me, what is it? What do I have?"
"Your lungs are black from smoke, your liver looks like a mop from all the drinking, and your heart... I'd rather not talk about it. Talking of your heart will break my heart," said Watson looking very sad.
Sherlock panicked, maybe for the first time in his life: "It cannot be. I recently lived a reasonably healthy life. How much time do I still have? "
"Ten..." said Watson.
"Ten what? Months? Weeks? Days?" shouted Sherlock
"...nine, eight, seven, six..." Watson never completed the countdown as he burst into laughter at his friend's visible panic.

No comments:

Post a Comment