Saturday, July 30, 2016

Ex Champion

Jane's house is full of bridge trophies. On all the shelves, in the closets, it the balcony, in the bedroom and even in the toilet there were special shelves installed. There are trophies from local tourneys, national tourneys, international tourneys, bridge festivals, leagues, the national team and from some tourneys abroad.

Today, Jane in no longer plays much. Still, every now and then, she's going to the local club to keep in shape.

When her grandchildren were younger, they used to be highly impressed:

"Grandma, where did you win this trophy?" and
"Grandma, how come you are such a champ?" and a million of other such questions.

Jane always smiled and told them patiently the story of each trophy, while the kids were sitting around her absorbing every word she said.

Meanwhile, they grew up and learned how to play bridge. The questions these days are around the game itself.

"Grandma, tell us about the greatest hand you ever played," asked the youngest grandchild, last time they visited her.

Jane thought for a long time and finally said: "There were so many... but this hand is really special"

Dealer South, E-W vulnerable:


West led the A.

"Why is this hand so special?" asked her grandchild.
"Because I managed to make my contract with closed handed while others, which analyzed the hand afterward, didn't manage to find the solution looking at all hands," said Jane and laughed.

"Let's see if you manage to find the solution with open cards," she challenged her grandchildren.

(Dear readers, you are welcome to try to help the grandchildren find the solution before you read on.)

After 15 minutes they gave up and asked for the solution.

"Well, it is easy to see that if clubs are 3-3 I have 12 tricks off the top. However, I found a way to make my contract even if East had doubleton club and doubleton heart.

I ruffed the lead and played ♣K, then club to ♣A. Now I continued with a third club from dummy.

If East discards, I win the trick with my ♣Q and ruff my fouth club in dummy with the 9.

East did ruff the third club and so I played low from hand. He continued with the ♠J and I won with my ♠A. Next I played the A, continued with the ♣K, throwing spade from dummy and followed with the ♠K and spade ruff.

That way I managed to avoid a spade loser (or a club loser, if East doesn't ruff the club)," completed Jane her analyzis, with her grandchildren clapping hands in excitment.

"WOW grandma, what a champ you are!"

No comments:

Post a Comment