Thursday, October 24, 2013

Humor on 6 legs

This story comes from Mr A who once came to ask me for advice after a domestic fight:

"My wife hasn't been talking to me in two weeks. So far we always got along fine..."
"Because so far you always decided for the both of you..." I thought to myself.
"Even in bridge we got along just fine!"
"You're always right and she's always wrong," I added.
"It all began when she started to nag me to get someone to spray at home against insects. I told her we don't need to spray anything, but she really insisted. The truth is I don't remember her ever insisting so much on something," he continued, ignoring my sarcastic reply.
(That's true, Mrs A is always gentle, charming and forgiving.)
"So I gave in, I checked prices and ordered the cheapest. It still cost me $200! What a ripoff! The exterminators came on a Thursday afternoon and ruined my bridge day, by the way..."

Here's an example of cooperation between the couple, from the previous week:



After going 3 down, Mr A turns to his wife:
"You should have passed my 2♠. Why did you bid 3♣?"
"And after insisting on clubs, why didn't you save me with 5♣?"
(Maybe she didn't want to hear 5♠?)

But let's get back to the cockroaches:

"Anyway, one day after having the house sprayed, I suddenly woke up in the middle of the night when a huge cockroach jumped on my face. I got so pissed! What did I pay $200 for?"
"Perhaps next time you won't get the cheapest deal, to guarantee the job is properly done?" I dared to suggest.
Ignoring me, he continued "So, I stayed up all night, hunting all the roaches I could find, killed them with my slipper and lined them up in front of my wife's bed, from biggest to smallest, and went back to bed at 6AM. My wife woke up screaming. She didn't stop screaming for more than half an hour. She hasn't been speaking to me ever since. I tried to talk to her, explaining I was only trying to show her I was right and she was wrong..."
"Don't you already do it during your bridge games?" I couldn't help commenting.
"What can I do, this is my humor! And besides, what's wrong with her to not talk to me for two whole weeks? She isn't cooking for me, she refuses to play bridge with me! I have my limits, how much does she think I can take? I do not deserve such treatment."
"That's right, you deserve much worse!" I replied, sympathizing with Mrs A.
"I'll just wait until she apologizes..."
"Not gonna happen, I'm pretty sure of that!"
"Help me! I'm desperate!"
"Well, I'm no Dr Ruth, but running a bridge club, I know a thing or two about people... Normally I would say that a bunch of flowers and a 'Sorry my love, I'll never do it again,' should do the job. But in your case it'll take 2 tickets to an exotic location, in a 5-star hotel. Time works against you, A. Do it now, or it will cost you much more!"

No comments:

Post a Comment