Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Good Fortune

Adam Fortune is often puzzled about his last name. He is not rich, so obviously the meaning is not from there, and, as far as he knows, he is the most unlucky person in the world. He used to play Bridge a lot, but then he quit for almost a year. Now he is back to his first game, after that long break, together with his last partner.

"Why did you quit for so long?," asked his partner.
"Isn't it obvious? – Because of my bad luck. I'm still trying to figure out if there is another meaning to my name. Really I don't get how come I am called Fortune with the luck I have," said Adam with a self pity tone.
But his Partner disagreed: "That is not how I remember things. I remember you used to go down and complain about your bad luck, while you could actually make each and every one of these hands due to... very lucky layouts! Fortune at its best. It was just you couldn't see that Fortune was dancing naked in front of your eyes. By the way, why are you wearing sunglasses, it's not too bright in here?," asked his partner.

Adam took off the sunglasses, revealing a huge black eye. "After I gave up Bridge last year, I started playing chess. But one week after I joined the club – it got bankrupted and the whole place closed down. Then I tried swimming, but got hospitalized due to a unique allergy for chlor. And then I discovered Golf. It went well for some time till I broke my leg, stepping on a concealed hole. I returned there after 2 months of recovery, and at my first game, I felt into the lake. This black eye I got last week, from a stray shot that landed straight into my eye. So, no matter what my name is, I am the most misfortunate guy on earth," ended Adam in a gloomy voice.

A few minutes later, here came a deal to "prove" his case once again.

East - West vulnerable, dealer South:


West lead the 9. Adam tried the 10 and won the A when East covered with the Q.

After thinking for a while (and mumbling: "...useless to finesse with my luck...") , he tried the spade finesse, losing to East's ♠K " (another mumble: "...obviously...").

He skeptically tried the heart finesse too, when East played heart, and lost to West's K (mumble: "...naturally...").

West continued with the 8 and dummy's J lost to East's K. East then cashed the 7 and the 5, setting the contract.

"You see?! Show me someone who is more unlucky than I am, to find the KQ over his J10, to find both major finesses off side, and to get a diamond lead instead of a club lead – No one! No one but me!," sighed Adam.

"Yes I see, my friend. As I claimed, only you have that good fortune, but you cannot see how lucky you are. I wish I could have your luck. Here you had to realize that you don't need two diamond tricks to make your contract, but you cannot afford to lose 3 diamonds. See the difference? Just thank your good Fortune for having dealt you the J10, and play LOW from dummy at trick 1. Win West's 9 with the A and try the spade finesse. When it loses to East's ♠K, and then the heart finesse loses to West's K, you'll get another diamond back, and there – play the 10. Now you will not lose more than 2 diamond tricks as the J will save you. I really wished I could have your luck... Maybe I should change my name!" vented his partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment