Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Know it all (almost)

"Susan, you are very lucky to have me as a partner. I know all the cards and distribution in the game and I also know exactly what suit will follow when any player wins a trick. I just "have it," said Arthur to his new partner, Susan, when they sat to the first round.

He totally ignored the "Hi" from the opponents and continued talking about his great abilities.

"Not only are you wise, but also handsome... and modest," whispered the opponent sitting North.

Susan heard it and smiled but Arthur was too self concentrated and didn't notice.

"And also full of empathy and awareness for those around you," added South.

On the first board Arthur proved his abilities: He lead a singleton, and when Susan took the ace he immediately pulled out a card from hand (a trump), ready to ruff. But Susan thought for a while, and switched to another suit. Arthur sighed with a long "Pffffffff".

The director was called to the table: "What?! I'm not allowed to breath in this club?" The director explained him that this sort of "breathing" means "Partner, I had a singleton! Why didn't you let me ruff that suit?" He asked Arthur to be more careful and breathe normally.

On the 2nd board, Arthur was the superstar again.

East - West vulnerable, dealer East:


Arthur, West, lead the ♠Q and mumbled: "No limits for foolish daring..." The defense won the first 2 tricks and declarer ruffed the 3rd spade, played club to the ♣A, ruffed a club and ran the Q, when Arthur followed low.

When Susan followed with the 10, declarer started to think. "Waste of time. One down," said Arthur, tabled his hand and went on: You have 7 hearts, 2 spades and 1 club. Therefore you hold 3 diamonds. The Q is no doubt with my partner, or else she has not enough values for an opening. That means you will always lose a diamond trick and I will always get my K too, having Kx while you hold a stiff A in dummy. 1 down!"

The director was called once again.

South was trying to speak but Arthur shouted first: "He is just making a fuss. Let him show me how he can avoid a diamond loser."

The tournament director first explained to Arthur that a claim is not made by a defender, especially when most high cards are with his partner. Then, he asked declarer in South how he plans to avoid a diamond loser.

"I will lose a diamond trick but will not lose a heart trick," he said.

Arthur giggled: "You should go to a beginner course before heading for a real tournament. Now listen and learn a free lesson: When you have a stiff A in dummy and opponent has Kx, there is no way to avoid a heart loser."

The director asked declarer to explain his claim. Dear readers, an exercise for you: Can you think of a way to avoid losing a heart trick in this situation? – Try to think of it, before you read on.

"I will continue now with a diamond to the K, ruff a third club, diamond to the A, ruff the fourth club and concede the 3rd diamond to East's Q. The ending before trick 12 is:



East is to play now, and he has only spades to play. I ruff with the 9 and the last 2 tricks are mine:
- If West overruffs with the K, I overruff with the A, and my J is good.
- If West underruffs with the 8, I throw the 3 from dummy and take the A at trick 13."

North complimented his partner and whispered to Arthur: "You know, my partner is a member of the national team, and he really knows it all. I mean all! Not almost all."

No comments:

Post a Comment