Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Psychiatrist

Gary was laying on his Psychiatrist's bed, on his back, gazing at the ceiling:

"I came home so upset because of this hand. They all made 3NT and only I got doubled and went 5 down. When I came home I told my wife what happened, but, instead of comforting me, she threw more salt on my open wound:

'Of course they doubled. They saw who their opponent was'.

And actually, maybe she is right. Perhaps I am not meant for this game. Perhaps I should look for another 'career' and abandon Bridge".



West lead a spade. I tried the ♠9 but East won the ♠10 and switched to a diamond. I played the 10 which lost to West's J, then West played another spade.
My ♠K lost to East's ♠A who played another diamond, and my Q lost to West's K. Another spade was played, and East won the ♠Q then cashed his high ♠8, returning yet another diamond. I finally won my 1st trick with the A.

But the nightmare had just begun: When I played on clubs, East took with the ♣A, returned a diamond and West took 2 more diamond tricks. Leaving me with only 4 tricks, and cashing 9 themselves (1 club, 4 diamonds and 4 spades). 'We made 3NT" East giggled."

"So, what say you, Doctor? I have a great voice, I sing everyday in the bath. Maybe I should start a singing career?"

The Psychiatrist saw Garry's distress, and helped immediately:
"Garry, my friend, you are a man of many talents. I'm sure you can be successful in any career you chose. There's nothing wrong with your Bridge! You made no mistake here and it is not your fault you had good opponents. East's double is actually a "Lead directing double", asking West to lead dummy's 1st bid suit. The way your opponents defended, and especially the spade lead, gave you no chance at all. I'd guess that at the other tables, East did not double and West probably lead a diamond.

Look how all the momentum of the game changes: On a diamond lead, declarer wins the 10 and plays a club. East wins and returns a diamond but declarer has already 9 tricks in his bag: 4 Clubs, 2 Diamonds and 3 Hearts".

Garry felt better immediately.
"Say Doc, to whom do you go when you're traumatized?"
"Ohh... I see a collegue of mine one once a week, he also happens to be my bridge partner. As soon as I see him I say: 'Hey pard, you seem to be OK. And how am I?'"

No comments:

Post a Comment